Saturday, March 17, 2012

Making it Personal

There is something special about personalization. It makes a piece truly unique and "yours", doesn't it?  I absolutely love it when I get to turn one of my creations into a personalized piece, and when customers come to me with an idea of their own.  The challenge of re-working a previous design, or starting from scratch keeps me from falling into the hum-drum of making the same things over and over again.

These three canvases all started in different ways.  The Family Tree was a birthday gift for my step-Mom.  It is very close to my heart because our family may not be related by blood, but we were joined by God and we are truly blessed.  I have always been interested in genealogy, so this piece was just a natural outpouring of that fascination.  It's one of my favorite pieces to date.



The Pittsburgh canvas was one of those creations that was requested by a customer. I've done several cities in a series I call "See the City," but this one was the first that used a sports logo in the background.  The client chose all of the aspects of the collage, and I was able to put it together for them.  The process of creating a piece like this is so much fun for me.  I love interacting with the customer, and tweaking the layout, colors and placement until it's just right.  Hearing from them once they have received it is such a great feeling!


I've made many family name/initial canvases over the last year, but this one was to be used in a way that had never crossed my mind.  The bride-to-be requested this in a large (16"x20") size with lots of empty space around the writing so that her wedding guests will be able to sign it at their reception.  It will hold a place of honor in their home afterward, and I feel blessed to know that I will get to have a small part in their big day!

There are many other custom creations in my portfolio, and many more to come.  I welcome your ideas and would love to create a special piece just for you!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...